Programs for Children
Being exposed to conjugal violence can have a negative effect on children of all ages. Counselling services for children and their mothers is available at our Counselling & Resource Office providing:
- Individual counselling in a positive, nurturing environment for children between the ages of 5 and 14, who have been exposed to conjugal violence and whose mothers are no longer in an abusive relationship. Mothers are involved in the counselling process, as needed.
The Centre has a program designed to help children by:
- breaking the secret surrounding conjugal violence through: sharing personal experiences, understanding feelings and defining violence;
- showing and modeling alternative positive ways of expressing feelings and ensuring they know that the violence is not their fault;
- enhancing self-esteem by focusing on strengths and abilities;
- preparing for custodial visits;
- safety planning.